Celebrating 100 years in Central Oregon
The story of St. Charles began in 1918 when the first hospital in Bend officially opened on the banks of the Deschutes River. It started with five Sisters of St. Joseph whose mission was to care for all or care for none. The current location of the Bend hospital opened in 1975. It became a community, nonprofit organization in the 1970s and maintained an affiliation with the Catholic Church until February 2010. The spirit of compassionate caring first fostered by the Sisters of St. Joseph is alive and well at St. Charles today.
For 100 years, St. Charles Health System, and its associated hospitals, has provided quality health care to all those in need. The system itself began in 2001 when St. Charles Medical Center in Bend and Central Oregon District Hospital in Redmond merged to form Cascade Health Services. In 2008, the system grew to include Pioneer Memorial Hospital in Prineville through a lease agreement. And in 2010 the organization changed its name from Cascade Healthcare Community to St. Charles Health System. The growth of the system continued in 2013 when Mountain View Hospital in Madras became part of the St. Charles family and changed its name to St. Charles Madras. On Sept. 21, 2015, Pioneer Memorial Hospital closed and a new hospital, St. Charles Prineville, opened for service.
Celebrate with us at www.stcharles100.com.
St. Charles Bend
The first hospital in Bend officially opened in 1918 on the banks of the Deschutes River. It was built by five Sisters of St. Joseph and their mission was to care for all or care for none. The current location of the Bend hospital opened in 1975. It became a community, nonprofit organization in the 1970s and maintained an affiliation with the Catholic Church until February 2010. The spirit of compassionate caring first fostered by the Sisters of St. Joseph is alive and well at St. Charles Bend today.
St. Charles Redmond
In 1951, Redmond made history as the first city in Oregon to form a public hospital district. Central Oregon District Hospital was built in 1952 on 20 acres north of town. The public supported the hospital with tax dollars and community members were elected to serve on the Board of Directors up until the time of the merger between the Bend and Redmond hospitals. As part of its continued commitment to the Redmond community, St. Charles Health System invested in the Redmond facility through a $30 million addition that opened in 2006.
St. Charles Prineville
The new 62,000 sq. ft. St. Charles Prineville campus opened on Sept. 21, 2015 and offers a wide range of patient, family and visitor services including primary care and specialty care clinics, Emergency Department, Lab, Radiology and Rehab. St. Charles Prineville is leading the way as St. Charles Health System transitions from a medical model to a team-based, integrated patient-centered care model. To be more patient-focused, individual physician offices have been eliminated in favor of central work and lounge spaces for the entire patient-care team. The traditional patient waiting area has been replaced with a concierge-style patient greeting desk and the public area includes seating and a café, which may also be used for community events and gatherings.
St. Charles Madras
St. Charles Madras, previously Mountain View Hospital, first opened its doors in 1967. The hospital worked closely with St. Charles Health System through a management agreement for many years before formally joining the St. Charles system in 2013.
St. Charles Madras is a critical access hospital with 25 licensed beds and 240 employees. The hospital provides surgical services, imaging, intensive care, a Family Birthing Center, medical and emergency care and an outpatient laboratory.
All of the St. Charles Health System hospitals, clinics and other services are dedicated to the communities we serve and are committed to improving the health of our population, reducing the costs of care and enhancing the patient care experience.
Pioneer Memorial Hospital
Pioneer Memorial Hospital opened in 1950 through a fundraising drive by the community to expand hospital services in Crook County. Previously, hospital services had been provided in two different homes in the area. The first was Home Hospital located in Elkins House in 1934 and the second was known as The Cornett House, which opened in 1938. Through a lease agreement in 2008, Pioneer Memorial Hospital joined the St. Charles family. A community board governed the hospital's assets. Pioneer Memorial Hospital closed on Sept. 21, 2015 when St. Charles Prineville was opened.